Remove this ad

Matt33

Impossible King

Lead

Oct 26 13 8:29 AM

Tags : :

This is one of my favorite games. I've put over 120 hours into it and am currently ranked #1 (on a rare non-hacked leader board for a change). It's on sale right now for $1, and I highly recommend it.

It's a side-scrolling game where the central goal is to save the most clones you can each level. The controls are simple tapping to keep your character in flight. There's also 3 extra challenges per level that add to the replay value, along with some good achievements and a few hidden ones, too.

Here's the (sinister) trailer:
[youtube]7nkxyKo09Qs[/youtube]
And if that made it look too difficult (basically showed all the ways you can die), this is a full replay of a cool level:
[youtube]Mk4tpgBtGTc[/youtube]

iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/id535176909?mt=8
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Lunartic

#1 [url]

Oct 26 13 1:30 PM

Re: BADLAND

EDIT: THE BADLAND FORUM - http://badland.gamerz.co

Thanks for the write up about it Matt33! I've seen a few replays of this on Everyplay and it definitely looks cool. I'll pick up a copy on Monday and check it out, cheers.

"Wow man. You're the greatest kangaroo blooded ninja I've ever cyber met."
"a lot of strange people playing this game but you're a special one..."
Lunartic on Facebook Twitter Everyplay YouTube Badland Forum Blue Thumbs Gaming

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#2 [url]

Oct 28 13 2:40 AM

So I picked this up and played for a while and it seems that the basic game play is along the same lines as Zombie Tsunami. Is there no title screen, or any information about the game? It just goes straight to gameplay and I honestly don't really have a clue what I'm doing besides trying to keep as many clones alive as I can. For example I have no idea what those blue and black things do?! Perhaps I'm just on training mode or something

EDIT: Finally managed to stumble across a main screen. Man that was weird as...

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#3 [url]

Oct 28 13 11:28 PM

Man this is an addictive game!
I'm 70% of the way through DAY 1 on day 1.
I always feel like crap after I play it though as seeing all the little dudes get chopped up, spiked and squashed starts to get to me.

Quote    Reply   

Matt33

#4 [url]

Oct 28 13 11:37 PM

Yeah it's really great. I feel like you have to exit the game after starting it for the first time to get the menus/level select. Navigation is fine now, right?

Watching those poor clones die just gives you motivation to save more! You play on an ipad so you've probably noticed that their eyes widen when they're about to die...

For improved clone saving, you want to generally avoid: speed, size increasing, spin, bouncy, and sticky power-ups.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#5 [url]

Oct 29 13 4:02 AM

Matt33 wrote:
Yeah it's really great. I feel like you have to exit the game after starting it for the first time to get the menus/level select. Navigation is fine now, right?

Yep, all good now.

Matt33 wrote:
Watching those poor clones die just gives you motivation to save more! You play on an ipad so you've probably noticed that their eyes widen when they're about to die...

I was playing before and my 1yo was watching me and he definitely noticed! He started saying ”痛い!" (Ouch!) over and over again and then started crying.

Matt33 wrote:
For improved clone saving, you want to generally avoid: speed, size increasing, spin, bouncy, and sticky power-ups.

I think it will be a long time before I start worrying about grinding to save clones. I think I'll be content to clear all the levels and then go back and try to get all of the goals.

Quote    Reply   

Matt33

#7 [url]

Oct 30 13 7:23 AM

Lunartic wrote:
This part in Day II Sewers has me stumped!

The center of those obstacles won't trigger the trap if you touch it/the powerup. Only hitting the extended "jaws" will cause you to die.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#8 [url]

Oct 31 13 12:36 AM

Matt33 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
This part in Day II Sewers has me stumped!

The center of those obstacles won't trigger the trap if you touch it/the powerup. Only hitting the extended "jaws" will cause you to die.

Thanks. Typically just after I got done posting the help request I worked it out.

Quote    Reply   

Matt33

#10 [url]

Oct 31 13 4:57 AM

Nice quick work of those levels. Some challenges are pretty tough. Getting through the last Night level without dying is brutal.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Lunartic

#11 [url]

Oct 31 13 12:09 PM

In case anybody is interested in how long it took me to clear all of the levels in this game, the in game stats tell me it took just over 5.5 hours. I expect it will take over ten times that long to clear all of the level challenges (no doubt longer) and probably the same again to get all of the Game Center Achievements. That all ads up to bloody good value for $1 and the game looks, sounds and plays awesomely.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#13 [url]

Oct 31 13 12:49 PM

SDodgerr wrote:
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being SSG 2, where would you put BADLAND?

WOW tough call!
To be completely honest after 550 hours of play time and over 900 replay uploads, I'm all but burnt out on SSG2. I only picked up Badland last week but have been really enjoying it almost exclusively with a bit of Krashlander and the odd SSG2 TB match. In many ways the games are very similar, which sounds strange but let me explain.

SSG2
- Unlock all the courses.
- Get the Gold Star, Big Bux and Clean Ball awards for all courses.
- Get the Game Center Achievements.
- Grind for low scores.

BADLAND
- Clear all of the levels.
- Get the three challenges for all levels.
- Get the Game Center Achievements.
- Grind for high clone counts.

I certainly don't see myself starting a Badland forum etc. but there are a few highly dedicated players who run spreadsheets etc. for Badland in a similar way that some of us do for SSG2 scores and they chat back and forth about tactics and set up miny competitions between each other like we do here. Both games have a lot of depth if you're willing to put the time in and both games are fun if you just want to play around and not get very serious with them.

Taking all of that into consideration and keeping in mind that I've been playing the game for less than a week, I'd have to say for me it's at least an 8.

Considering that Matt33 is the highest ranked player in both Badland and SSG2 (and has put a heap of hours in for both games), his opinion would hold a lot more weight than my own.

Quote    Reply   

Matt33

#15 [url]

Oct 31 13 9:08 PM

Great post, Lunartic. Glad that you're enjoying it. The parallels you mention are interesting. When grinding for low scores in both games, it's very similar ingenuity used to cheat the levels, in a way, to get better scores.

I've put the most time into these 2 games out of everything on my device, so they're probably my 2 favorites. I'd give BADLAND a 9 to SSG2's 10. Even if you don't want to grind for high scores, there's lots of value here for a dollar. It's one of those games where you later might feel guilty about buying it on sale. Get it!

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#16 [url]

Oct 31 13 11:14 PM

Matt33 wrote:
there's lots of value here for a dollar. It's one of those games where you later might feel guilty about buying it on sale. Get it!

Absolutely! I can't imagine this price drop will last for long and apparently there's an update with more levels on the the way soon. Fantastic value.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#18 [url]

Nov 11 13 11:30 PM

Lunartic wrote:
I certainly don't see myself starting a Badland forum etc.

I'm totally burnt out on SSG2 and there are a couple of Badland fiends on Toucharcade that want to connect with other people but seem to be going about it all wrong. Hmmm.

Quote    Reply   

Matt33

#19 [url]

Nov 11 13 11:56 PM

Lunartic wrote:
My clone counts should give you a good

Not bad for some of them. 100 clones is possible for Dawn!

Lunartic wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

I'm totally burnt out on SSG2 and there are a couple of Badland fiends on Toucharcade that want to connect with other people but seem to be going about it all wrong. Hmmm.

getting some ideas? I'm very surprised there aren't more BADLAND fans around, a forum wouldn't have as many SSG2 members unfortunately.

I'd certainly join, but I'm secretive towards my clone counts per level/section and worry that I wouldn't have much to contribute without putting my position at the top in jeopardy.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#20 [url]

Nov 12 13 2:55 AM

Matt33 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
My clone counts should give you a good

Not bad for some of them. 100 clones is possible for Dawn!

I'm currently at 955 total clones saved which I guess is OK considering I haven't spent any time trying to increase my clone counts. That's just what I've got so far working my way through the Missions. I've got 3 Missions left to go in Day I and then I'll start on the Day II ones which will take A LONG FECKING TIME and a lot of swearing to get completed (if at all).

Matt33 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
Lunartic wrote:

getting some ideas? I'm very surprised there aren't more BADLAND fans around, a forum wouldn't have as many SSG2 members unfortunately.

I think there's quite a lot of material to work with and those two guys seem to be stuck with their spreadsheets, kind of like the very early days of SSG. I'm going to knock something up and send it to them and then it's up to them to decide if they want to pick it up and run with it in regards to creating all the content (that will largely be consumed by lurkers).

Matt33 wrote:
I'd certainly join, but I'm secretive towards my clone counts per level/section and worry that I wouldn't have much to contribute without putting my position at the top in jeopardy.

I seem to recall you saying something very similar when I first started putting the SSG stuff together and yet you still came out on top. Like I've always said, it's one thing to show/list how to do something and it's another thing entirely to actual be able to do it. I completely understand though and any input would no doubt be greatly appreciated by those guys.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help