Okay, so as it stands the only thing we could introduce is a DQ for the match-starter if they fail to send the match within 24 hours.
Rattling the marbles around in my brain a bit more I've come up with the following.
I think 24hrs is too generous. The start time and date is clearly given well in advance and I even provide a link to work out what that is no matter where in the world you live. If people have any interest in playing in these then you'd think they'd at the very least keep that in mind, check in here regularly leading up to the start, or put a reminder on their phone or something. 24hrs is however the easiest to manage so I'm OK with it.
The biggest problem that I see is a lack of information / communication between opponents and the tournament manager and as you know I'm not exactly Mr Patience. For these to continue I think we all need to be a bit more diligent and the match starter needs to take on a greater role in the tournament threads.
Future tournaments could work something like this:
- Tournaments get set up as per usual with the starting date and time displayed.
- When you post to enter the tournament you also have to confirm that you've worked out what the start time and date is for you and that you've put a reminder about it on your phone.
- Matches have to be started within 24hrs of All Rounds Starting or else the designated match starter is disqualified from the entire tournament and blacklisted from the next tournament (unless they have some RL issue that popped up).
- The match starter has to post status updates for the entire match as it unfolds at the end of each turn sequence. That way everybody can follow where everybody else is at.
- Matches have to be completed ASAP. I know for a fact that some people use stalling tactics and this will be exposed by the point above. If someone continues to be a match staler without explanation, they're blacklisted.
Basically if you enter a tournament you have to have the time available to play in the tournament in a timely maner and to check into the tournamanent thread regularly to keep up to speed with events.
I fully appreciate that some people don't have the time, or possibly the interest in being so involved here in the forums and I fully respect that but do the other entrants who do/are a favour and don't enter.
Like I've said a bunch of times I'd rather play these regularly with a handful of people who are keen to play, rather than have them drag out with a bunch who are in them halfheartedly because that angle is quickly becoming a pain in the arrse and tournaments are no longer fun for me.