Remove this ad

Lunartic

Blue Thumbs Gaming

Lead

Mar 23 14 11:38 PM

Tags : :

Game Maker Studio:
Shaun Spalding Tutorials

Note: As I've moved WAY beyond what Shaun has in his great tutorials and have ended up working towards a very specific game (Shoot the Monkeys!), I've changed the title of the thread.

What I particularly like about Shaun's tutorials is that he shows you how to use the Game Maker Studio drag and drop system, but then also teaches you how to code stuff in directly. This means I can quite quickly get a bunch of cool stuff up and running and also go back through and learn the code behind what I've just built.

Game Maker Studio: http://www.yoyogames.com/
Shaun Spalding: https://www.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox

"Wow man. You're the greatest kangaroo blooded ninja I've ever cyber met."
"a lot of strange people playing this game but you're a special one..."
Lunartic on Facebook Twitter Everyplay YouTube Badland Forum Blue Thumbs Gaming

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Lunartic

#1 [url]

Mar 23 14 11:40 PM

Re: Game Maker Studio: Shaun Spalding Tutorials

Here's what I was able to build after just a couple of hours.

Note:
- My laptop recently died, so I'm doing this on my wife's crappy one.
- I don't have screen capture, so this was recorded with my iPad (hence the terrible quality).
- My background sucks!
- I'm thinking of changing the overall theme for this game to something involving space monkeys and need to work on my sprites and the game title.

Project 68 - Part 1.0 : Gunship68 (working title)

[youtube]J-jO0jx73tw[/youtube]

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#2 [url]

Mar 24 14 12:49 AM

Here's a proper look at what I've done so far:

I just noticed that my spaceship seems to be flipped over for some reason (the 68 logo is whack), which I'll have to look into at some point. I am going to make a completely new sprite for it to go with my space monkey theme though.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#3 [url]

Mar 24 14 3:15 PM

Didn't work on any new stuff today, just tweaked what I've already got and fixed up a few things.

As you can see I've:
- improved the background a bit, although it still doesn't scroll 100% seamlessly.
- Made drastic changes to my ship. I had in my head that I wanted to make a 'banana like spaceship' but what I actually created was just a big frickin banana, so obviously that's going to need a lot more work.
- Changed my main bullets into small bananas.
- Changed my bombs into a matching pair of coconut bombs.

What you can't see is that I tweaked the friction code a bit to suit the feel that I'm going for and I finally worked out how to stop my 'ship' from going out of the bottom of the screen after mucking about with the main code, which as you can see isn't all that difficult to follow.

if (keyboard_check(vk_left)) hspeed -=1;
if (keyboard_check(vk_right)) hspeed +=1;

if (keyboard_check(vk_up)) vspeed -=1;
if (keyboard_check(vk_down)) vspeed +=1;

if(speed>6) speed =6;

x = min(x,room_width-25);
x = max(x,25);

y = min(y,room_width-260);
y = max(y,10);

I'm looking forward to getting into the next tutorial video: PROJECTILES PART 2, where we will apparently be playing around a bit more with the shooter mechanics for a top-down shooter.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#5 [url]

Mar 25 14 1:53 PM

Some star sprites I knocked up to try and improve my background:

A good couple of hours effort to make a new banana spaceship, make a new background that now scrolls seamlessly and to tweak the size and location of the bombs and all of a sudden this is looking at least half decent to me.

I think I'm going to have to increase my room size vertically a bit though, if I ever want to include some enemies here. That's easy enough to do, just a bit time consuming. That's enough for today though!

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#6 [url]

Mar 26 14 5:41 AM

Increased the game room size, the speed of the banana spaceship and the game friction. Tweaked around with the look of the background and coconut bombs (not shown) and made and inserted the first enemy: KING MONKEY. I'm really happy with how well the KM turned out! Next up is to make and code in the "Radioactive Turd Bombs" that the enemy monkeys will drop.

EDIT: New main code -

if (keyboard_check(vk_left)) hspeed -=6;
if (keyboard_check(vk_right)) hspeed +=6;

if (keyboard_check(vk_up)) vspeed -=6;
if (keyboard_check(vk_down)) vspeed +=6;

if(speed>12) speed =12;

x = min(x,room_width-25);
x = max(x,25);

y = min(y,room_width-210);
y = max(y,10);

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#8 [url]

Mar 27 14 12:58 AM

Just realised the monkey teeth look all messed up because I pasted them as transparent and so the background is showing through. Will fix that up.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Lunartic

#9 [url]

Mar 28 14 4:58 AM

Part 1.1 of me following Shaun Spalding's great tutorials and playing around in Game Maker Studio.

[youtube]KSjwkvV2HQA[/youtube]

I made a lot of major changes to get to this stage since the last video.
- New star sprites for a much improved background.
- Decided on a game name and overall theme to work towards.
- New Banana themed spaceship, complete with banana bullets and coconut bombs.
- Increased the game room size dramatically.
- Knocked up some enemy monkey sprites to patch in, complete with radioactive poop bombs.

Fairly obvious that this is heavily influenced by games like Galaxian and Space Invaders but with a massive dose of my own twisted imagination etc. 

When I say I'm "following Shauns tutorials", if you check them out for yourself you'll see that I'm doing a massive amount of additional stuff to try and set this up as it plays in my head.

Anyway I'm having fun playing around with it and that was the entire point of Project 68.

Shaun Spalding: https://www.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#10 [url]

Apr 1 14 3:49 AM

Busy night tinkering around with a game intro room . It took a while for me to get my head around the code required to display my stupid verbose diatribe correctly, but I got it working eventually. Oh and the game banner text is all flashy and stuff but of course taking a screenshot only shows the one colour. If I can get some other stuff working I'll do a follow up video.

Then I accidentally deleted the wrong thing and had to do it all over again, except the second time it had several bugs that took ages to find...

I've also now patched in the enemies properly so that they move and have various strengths (require more hits to kill). Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to work out how to get them to randomly drop their death turd bombs yet and they are currently all dropping bombs simultaneously which obviously makes it impossible to win.

I've also played around so that if the ship touches a monkey the ship vanishes (need to tweak it so it makes it game over) and if the ship gets hit by a monkey turd it turns into the original banana ship for game over. Now I need to code in a skip intro button on the intro room and a return to intro button on the game room. Oh and yeah try to work out how to get the bombs dropping randomly.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#11 [url]

Apr 1 14 4:21 PM

[youtube]lwuOde0bKAk[/youtube]

Part 1.2 of me playing around in Game Maker Studio to make my first ever silly little game.

SHOOT THE MONKEYS!

I've started to branch out even more WAY beyond what is included in Shaun Spalding's great tutorials and have incorporated a heap of cool little features I've picked up here and there in various tutorials on YouTube.

I've made HEAPS of changes to get to this stage since the last video.
- Added an INTRO room with a crazy banner and controls key.
- Added the game’s story in fade in / out text.
- Added buttons to be able to switch between the INTRO and GAME rooms easily.
- Added background music for both the INTRO room and GAME room.
- Added sound effects for the Banana Bombs, Coconut Bullets and Monkey Poop.
- Patched in all of the enemies, gave them some movement and set them up with varying strengths.
- I set up the main ship so that: it turns into the original banana ship if it gets hit by a poop, it dies if it hits a monkey and it now has some nitro burning effects.

I still need to:
- Tidy up a lot of code.
- Tweak the intro story.
- Work out how to get the enemy monkeys to fire poops randomly and automatically.
- Work out a couple of bugs in regards to hit points.
- Work out how to do a game over / restart screen.
- Fix the ship up so that it doesn't just vanish if it touches a monkey.
- And probably a bunch of stuff that doesn't immediately come to mind, or that I’ll see on YouTube somewhere and want to add in.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#12 [url]

Apr 3 14 10:15 PM

A couple of my students testing out my Shoot the Monkeys! Game:

MONKEYS WIN

[youtube]Yzd5Xx-gVhw[/youtube]

EROK WINS

[youtube]mJr1sfqVExs[/youtube]

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#13 [url]

Apr 4 14 6:46 AM

Major breakthrough! We now have random death turds.

[youtube]hZVfBVRZsww[/youtube]

I'm also considering adding another room or two to prolong the game.

Room 3 - King Monkey that spawns other monkeys to fight.

Room 4 - King Monkey Boss showdown.

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#14 [url]

Apr 5 14 1:57 PM

Re: Game Maker Studio: "Shoot the Monkeys!"

[youtube]dVYRU8AwO-w[/youtube]

Part 1.3 of me playing around in Game Maker Studio to make my first ever silly little game.

I’m starting to get the hang of the basic stuff in Game Maker Studio and can now often go ahead and do what I want to do without having to laboriously watch tutorials etc.

I've made some minor changes since the last video which include:
- Tweaked the button colours to make them a bit less gaudy.
- Added some additional music and effects.
- Removed the coconut bombs as they had some weird bug that I couldn’t work out. I’m thinking to try them again a bit later as a powerup or something.
- Added a game over screen.
- Fixed all of the collisions so the ship doesn’t just disappear.
- Added a death scream for Erok the pilot when he gets killed.

I’ve also made some major changes which are:
- Added a Queen Monkey boss who spawns out various other monkey enemy types of varying speed and strength.
- Added a King Monkey boss who chases you around the room and flings turds at you from all angles.

As you can see in this video, the way I’ve got it set up right now is SUPER difficult, but I’ll play around with the various difficulties once I’m satisfied with the overall build and game play. I thought about adding ‘Lives’ to the game but decided against it, to increase the difficulty and the replayability.

Aside from general tweaks and whatnot, the next major things I plan to work on are:
- Setting up smooth transitions between the rooms.
- A victory screen.
- Adding scoring.
- Adding health meters for the bosses.
- Setting up the enemy waves at the start of the game.

Project 68: project-68-f128007.html

Quote    Reply   

Lunartic

#15 [url]

Apr 7 14 1:11 AM

Re: Game Maker Studio: "Shoot the Monkeys!"

Why "Shoot the Monkeys!"?

Hmmm well you'd know if you've seen just about any of the stuff I do, that my kind of humor is incredibly lowbrow. It keeping with that theme my original game idea involved a troop of monkeys and a stolen PhD thesis and titled "Spank the Monkeys!". I've written a bunch of notes and drawn up a few story boards for it and think it would be a really fun little game, it's just that the first tutorial series I immersed myself in was a simple shooter. The first game I remember playing with any dedicated enthusiasm as a kid was Space Invaders and so I decided to flesh out my current game project way beyond the tutorial and kind of pay homage to Space Invaders in my own 'special' way.

But I didn't want to go with some form of alien, as there are already heaps of games like that around and that wouldn't be lowbrow enough to keep me interested in developing it. So because I had already done a bunch of mental crunching with a monkeys themed game, I started thinking of ways to link the games loosely into a series. I've since also thought of an idea for a fun little platformer game "Zap the Monkey's!" that I'd like to work on next if I ever get "Shoot the Monkeys!" finished and want to keep tinkering around with game making. So the original "Spank the Monkeys!" idea would actually be part 3.

e.g.
Game 1: Shooter - "Shoot the Monkeys!"
Game 2: Platformer - "Zap the Monkeys!"
Game 3: Tapper - "Spank the Monkeys!"

Getting all or any of those games actually completed is something that is still up in the air, as I've no idea if I will be able to develop the skills required to make them anywhere close to how they play out in my head or if game making is something that I'll stick with as a hobby beyond my current dabbling.

Anyway back to the main point of this post, Why Monkeys?

Being a 70’s kid I grew up with the Planet of the Apes series but I never really got into the idea that apes would rise up like that. I’ve had a couple of fairly cool interactions/moments with a few zoo apes before but from what I’ve seen (for the most part) confined apes usually end up really withdrawn, mental, or enthusiastic turd eaters. Monkeys on the other hand are a different story. Unfortunately zoos in Japan by and large are incredibly depressing places to visit for most westerners, as they are only just now starting to move beyond concrete and steel bar enclosures for animals. This is completely different to most modern zoos in the west, where it’s more like the humans are the ones that are caged. Apes in these types of enclosures go bonkers as I mentioned above, but most of the monkeys just seem to be going with it and appear to be just chilling out / biding their time so to speak.

There’s one particular monkey at our local zoo (a Japanese Macaque monkey) that was the major inspiration for all this. He’s the biggest and baddest monkey in the troop i.e. the King Monkey and he is an amazing character. The Japanese Macaque enclosure at the local zoo is actually quite modern, so the monkeys have a decent amount of space and us humans are the ones who are glassed in. A few years ago when the zoo wasn’t busy at all the King Monkey was very close to a viewing window and I squatted to his eye level for a closer look at him (he had his eyes closed and was catching some sun rays). He opened one eye slightly and was a little startled to see me so close but he did his best not to show it and was then fully staring at me. I was wearing sunglasses at the time and gave him a toothy smile which he largely ignored but when I gave him a toothy smile after lifting my sunglasses up to look directly at him, all hell broke loose. He stood up and made himself as tall and imposing looking as possible while raising hell with his voice and so I stood up tall and wide to answer his challenge. This really made him mad and he bolted off, which made me think I’d won our little morning contest.

He actually went and grabbed a large female and dragged her back to where I was and after roughing her up a bit, proceeded to shag her enthusiastically right in front of me and all the while looking straight at me and baring his teeth. Once he was finished he pushed her away, sat down and looked straight at me with a look on his face that I read as something along the lines of “HAHAHA in your face you tall piece of weak human shiit!” His attitude following was of complete and utter triumph and I was extremely impressed and humbly defeated / humiliated. I remember thinking at the time that I was glad for the glass, otherwise he would of easily beat the crap out of me as an exclamation mark at the end.

So yeah the rise of the apes etc. is not something that I could ever imagine happening, but monkeys… Man those little dudes have some serious attitude, so who knows!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help